Re: [Banshee-List] iPod does not show up in Banshee

Christopher Halse Rogers wrote:
> On 8/14/06, Aaron Borden <aaborden eden rutgers edu> wrote:
>> Christopher Halse Rogers wrote:

>>> Has that iPod ever been removed without being unmounted?  The hfsplus
>>> FS module will mount dirty hfsplus filesystems read only.  Further
>>> more, if that's a *journalled* HFS+ filesystem, I believe the FS
>>> module will always mount read-only, because it currently doesn't
>>> understand how to write the journal (and when it got mounted by OS:X,
>>> which obviously does understand the journal, there'd be FS
>>> corruption).
>>>
>>> Are you able to write files manually to the iPod at all?

>> No, even though permissions say I can write to the ipod, I get a
>> read-only error when trying to actually write to it. I don't believe
>> I've ever removed it without unmounting first. I know the ipod is
>> HFSplus, but how can I tell if it has journaling?
>>
>> So what is the next step? Can I re-format the ipod and how would I do
>> that? Thanks.
>
> Or, if you'd prefer the hfsplus file system to FAT32 (and who
> wouldn't), you can check out the HFS+ iPod howto on the Gentoo wiki -
> that's what I did.  There's the Apple code for mkfs.hfsplus and
> fsck.hfsplus, both of which you'll need.  I'm sorry I don't have a
> link at the moment.
>
> If you ever want to have files >= 4GB on your iPod, you'll need to use
> hfsplus - FAT32 won't handle it.
>
>> -aaron

But in order to convert to hfs+, dont you need to edit the partitions
using the parted tool? According to gentoo-wiki, "While parted does
allow viewing of the Macintosh partition maps, it does not support
modification, identification, or creation of these partitions." at
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_hfsplus

Despite the warning, I tried anyway: First I created the mac partition
table with partitions for the firmware and the diskspace. Next I
formatted the partitions using apple's mkfs.hfsplus tool. I also
formated the firmware partition even though i figured it would be
overwritten by dd anyway. Then i updated the firmware according to
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Update_iPod_Firmware following directions
for Mac OS X & hfs+. When i was done, iPod was upset. Before the iPod
was vfat formatted it was hfs+ and i tried to use the backed up
firmware, but ipod still complained.

 Maybe you have instructions on how to do it right?

-aaron