Re: [Banshee-List] iPod does not show up in Banshee

On 8/14/06, Aaron Borden <aaborden eden rutgers edu> wrote:
Christopher Halse Rogers wrote:
> On 8/14/06, Aaron Borden <aaborden eden rutgers edu> wrote:
>> Right now, HAL/gvm seem to mount my ipod fine. However the ipod does not
>> show up in Banshee. Here is my output from ipod --list:
>>
>> $ ipod --list
>> glibtop: This machine has 1 CPUs, 1 are being monitored.
>> Path Info
>>    Device Path:      /dev/sda3
>>    Mount Point:      /mnt/ipod
>>    Control Path:     /mnt/ipod/iPod_Control/
>>    HAL ID:
>> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_E0C3AB8C9AFE99E2
>> Device Info
>>    Model Number:     MA005
>>    Device Model:     Nano (White)
>>    iPod Generation:  Fifth (5)
>>    Adv. Capacity:    4 GB
>>    Is New:           YES
>>    Writeable:        NO
>>    Serial Number:    YM6234HYSZC
>>    Firmware Version: 5.1.1
>> Volume Info
>>    Volume Size:      4005708288
>>    Volume Used:      3919553024
>>    Available         86155264
>>    UUID:             E0C3AB8C9AFE99E2
>>    Label             Egglin
>> User-Provided Info
>>    Device Name:      (null)
>>    User Name:        (null)
>>    Host Name:        (null)
>> Supported Artwork Formats
>>    Small Cover:            42x42
>>    Large Cover:            100x100
>>    Large Photo:            42x37
>>    Full iPod Screen Photo: 176x132
>>

>> i've noticed above that it sees the iPod as "Writable NO" which seems
>> odd. The ipod is mounted in gnome as writable to everyone. Here is the
>> line in my fstab related to the ipod:
>>
>> /dev/ipod       /mnt/ipod       hfsplus
>> async,nodev,nosuid,user,rw,noauto,noexec,umask=0000     0 0
>
> Has that iPod ever been removed without being unmounted?  The hfsplus
> FS module will mount dirty hfsplus filesystems read only.  Further
> more, if that's a *journalled* HFS+ filesystem, I believe the FS
> module will always mount read-only, because it currently doesn't
> understand how to write the journal (and when it got mounted by OS:X,
> which obviously does understand the journal, there'd be FS
> corruption).
>
> Are you able to write files manually to the iPod at all?
>
>> suggestions?
>>
>> -aaron

No, even though permissions say I can write to the ipod, I get a
read-only error when trying to actually write to it. I don't believe
I've ever removed it without unmounting first. I know the ipod is
HFSplus, but how can I tell if it has journaling?

So what is the next step? Can I re-format the ipod and how would I do
that? Thanks.

Or, if you'd prefer the hfsplus file system to FAT32 (and who
wouldn't), you can check out the HFS+ iPod howto on the Gentoo wiki -
that's what I did.  There's the Apple code for mkfs.hfsplus and
fsck.hfsplus, both of which you'll need.  I'm sorry I don't have a
link at the moment.

If you ever want to have files >= 4GB on your iPod, you'll need to use
hfsplus - FAT32 won't handle it.

-aaron