Re: [Banshee-List] Help with iPod setup

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 21:00:24 -0600, Luis Medinas <metalgod gentoo org> wrote:

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 14:42 -0600, Russ Brown wrote:
Aaron,

Thank you very much for your excellent help.

First, my ipod wasn't being detected in dmesg because the ipod needed
resetting: it had presumably got itself into a funny state where it wasn't
reporting its existence to the USB host. Might be a tip worth adding to
your troubleshooting page...

Second, you were correct in that my ipod wasn't being mounted. In gentoo,
you apparently need to be in the 'plugdev' group to be able to use the
pmount utilities (another one that might be worth adding to the
troubleshooting page).

Yes it's true you should be on the plugdev group to be able to use
pmount/hal/dbus
I haven't got gnome-volume-manager working yet (I'm using xfce4) but I'll
get to that later.

you can try using ivman(available on portage) instead of G-V-M

Thanks for the pointer: this looks like being exactly what I need (for more than just this purpose too!)

So, now I have a sitation: the ipod is being detected, it gets manually
mounted and the ipod utility shows that the ipod has been detected through
HAL. Now comes my next problem: the mono process grows to nealy 2GB in
VIRT (567 RES) according to top, system load shoots up to 4+ and the
system is unusable for a while. I hear sounds coming from the iPod so it's obviously accessing the device. After a while things settle down. Mono is
still using a huge amount of RAM (I'm basically clean out of swap at the
moment), but I can use my system again. The bad news is that after all
that, the ipod has not shown up in Banshee.

So near and yet so far. :)

what udev version are you using ? 073 is broken upgrade to 077-r2 and
you should have those issues fixed. Banshee works very good with my ipod
using ~arch versions of udev, dbus, hal and pmount.
About that mono issue it sounds weird to me because i can't reproduce it
on my system.

Of course if you have more related issues on Gentoo non Banshee specific
you can reach me on irc,mail or even report a bug(if you find
anyone ;)). I'll be grad to continue working with banshee upstream to
provide a great support for Gentoo Linux.

At the time I writing my last email I was running udev 071. I have since upgraded to 077-r2, but have actually found that has caused matters to regress somewhat. udev now no longer creates sdc device nodes in /dev when I plug the ipod in. I do get notifications in the kernel logs that let me know that the device has been added (which even reference the names sdc etc.) For example:

Dec 9 23:07:09 [kernel] scsi4 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices Dec 9 23:07:14 [kernel] Vendor: Apple Model: iPod Rev: 1.62 Dec 9 23:07:14 [kernel] SCSI device sdc: 39063023 512-byte hdwr sectors (20000 MB)
Dec  9 23:07:14 [kernel] sdc: Write Protect is off
Dec 9 23:07:14 [kernel] SCSI device sdc: 39063023 512-byte hdwr sectors (20000 MB)
Dec  9 23:07:14 [kernel] sdc: Write Protect is off
Dec 9 23:07:15 [kernel] Attached scsi removable disk sdc at scsi4, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

I can find no device nodes in /dev to match. ivman isn't picking the device up and I don't know where to look to figure out what device I need to mount manually (I should not that I did recompile HAL, DBUS and the Banshee applications when I upgraded udev).

Has anything changed in udev that could affect this behaviour?

Thanks again.

--

Russ