Re: [Banshee-List] Help with iPod setup

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 14:42 -0600, Russ Brown wrote:
> Aaron,
>
> Thank you very much for your excellent help.
>
> First, my ipod wasn't being detected in dmesg because the ipod needed
> resetting: it had presumably got itself into a funny state where it wasn't
> reporting its existence to the USB host. Might be a tip worth adding to
> your troubleshooting page...
>
> Second, you were correct in that my ipod wasn't being mounted. In gentoo,
> you apparently need to be in the 'plugdev' group to be able to use the
> pmount utilities (another one that might be worth adding to the
> troubleshooting page).

Yes it's true you should be on the plugdev group to be able to use
pmount/hal/dbus
> I haven't got gnome-volume-manager working yet (I'm using xfce4) but I'll
> get to that later.

you can try using ivman(available on portage) instead of G-V-M

> So, now I have a sitation: the ipod is being detected, it gets manually
> mounted and the ipod utility shows that the ipod has been detected through
> HAL. Now comes my next problem: the mono process grows to nealy 2GB in
> VIRT (567 RES) according to top, system load shoots up to 4+ and the
> system is unusable for a while. I hear sounds coming from the iPod so it's
> obviously accessing the device. After a while things settle down. Mono is
> still using a huge amount of RAM (I'm basically clean out of swap at the
> moment), but I can use my system again. The bad news is that after all
> that, the ipod has not shown up in Banshee.
>
> So near and yet so far. :)

what udev version are you using ? 073 is broken upgrade to 077-r2 and
you should have those issues fixed. Banshee works very good with my ipod
using ~arch versions of udev, dbus, hal and pmount.
About that mono issue it sounds weird to me because i can't reproduce it
on my system.

Of course if you have more related issues on Gentoo non Banshee specific
you can reach me on irc,mail or even report a bug(if you find
anyone ;)). I'll be grad to continue working with banshee upstream to
provide a great support for Gentoo Linux.

--
Luis Medinas <metalgod gentoo org>
http://dev.gentoo.org/~metalgod