[Banshee-List] Help with iPod setup

Hello,

I came across Banshee today when I noticed it in Portage for the first time. Basically I've been looking for an application like this for some time, so I'm very excited about having found it.

The ebuild had some dependancy bugs, but I got around them and finally got Banshee installed and running fine as a music player.

I'm very impressed. I can see this this is going to turn into an application I use every day. It's missing a few functions that I would like such as smart playlists, but having looked around a bit I see that these things are either planned or in progress, so I'm not worried about the project's future.

The problem that I'm having is that I simply can't seem to get my ipod working with it. I'm not sure where the problem is: it could be Banshee or one of the subprojects, HAL, DBUS or even udev. I'm very technically minded, but at this point I'm out of ideas, and so would appreciate any pointers that anybody might have that might give me a clue as to what to try next.

Some information:

Versions:

Banshee: 0.10
HAL: 0.5.5.1
DBUS: DBUS 0.50 (gentoo package 0.50-r1)
udev: 071

I haven't configured either HAL or DBUS whatsoever (I've not seen any documentation telling me to do so) so that could be one simple explanation for this.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get either HAL or DBUS to log anything meaningful to the error logs, so I can't post any such information. However, I have discovered the utility 'lshal', which when run first outputs the following error message a number of times

8184: arguments to dbus_move_error() were incorrect, assertion "(dest) == NULL || !dbus_error_is_set ((dest))" failed in file dbus-errors.c line 243.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-BUS library.

This is followed by a comprehensive list of 91 devices that does not appear to include my ipod...

Another potentially related bit of information. In the past, plugging in my ipod would normally result in a short message in the dmesg output regarding a new USB device. Lately, I seem to get this instead:

    ACPI-0292: *** Error: Looking up [PBST] in namespace, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS
ACPI-0508: *** Error: Method execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0.LPC0.BAT1._BST] (Node c17268e0), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS

Again, could be unrelated but at this point I'm willing to clutch at straws...

Thanks for reading. If anyone has any tips whatsoever I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks.

--

Russ