Re: [Banshee-List] Help with iPod setup

Aaron,

Thank you very much for your excellent help.

First, my ipod wasn't being detected in dmesg because the ipod needed resetting: it had presumably got itself into a funny state where it wasn't reporting its existence to the USB host. Might be a tip worth adding to your troubleshooting page...

Second, you were correct in that my ipod wasn't being mounted. In gentoo, you apparently need to be in the 'plugdev' group to be able to use the pmount utilities (another one that might be worth adding to the troubleshooting page).

I haven't got gnome-volume-manager working yet (I'm using xfce4) but I'll get to that later.

So, now I have a sitation: the ipod is being detected, it gets manually mounted and the ipod utility shows that the ipod has been detected through HAL. Now comes my next problem: the mono process grows to nealy 2GB in VIRT (567 RES) according to top, system load shoots up to 4+ and the system is unusable for a while. I hear sounds coming from the iPod so it's obviously accessing the device. After a while things settle down. Mono is still using a huge amount of RAM (I'm basically clean out of swap at the moment), but I can use my system again. The bad news is that after all that, the ipod has not shown up in Banshee.

So near and yet so far. :)

My iPod probably has about 15GB of music on it: could that be the problem?

Thanks again.

Russ.