Re: [Banshee-List] Help with iPod setup

Banshee's iPod support is based on two subprojects directly related to
Banshee. libipoddevice is a library for providing basic control and
metadata about an iPod. It also ships with a very small command line
utility called "ipod". You can use this to possibly find where the break
in the chain is, and to rule out anything wrong at the Banshee level.

1. Unplug your iPod
2. Open a terminal and run "ipod"

It should then wait, saying "Listening for iPod-specific HAL events..."

3. Plugin iPod and wait, maybe up to a minute. Older udev can be pretty
slow, and the thing has to get mounted and the file system has to be
poked, etc. (however, this whole process only takes about 10 seconds on
my system).

You should see a bunch of iPod properties scroll by at some point after
plugging the device in. If not, you probably have a udev or HAL problem.

4. Try "ipod --list" ... that will confirm nothing is already connected
to the system.

5. Run "hal-device-manager" and scroll through the device tree on the
left to see if there are any nodes similar to the attached screenshot.

If you have no success with those five things above, the problem is not
with libipoddevice or Banshee, rather something lower in your Gentoo
stack, which is usually the case.

One possible thing:

You need Gnome Volume Manager (g-v-m) to actually mount the iPod. That's
the point of g-v-m: it listens to HAL for new devices to mount. If it is
not running, you have to manually manage mounting devices. We could add
some kind of mount policy directly in libipoddevice, but it would not
make much sense. So the whole problem may just be that it's not mounted.
You can look through the advanced properties in the hal-device-manager
tree to find the device node (or look through dmesg) and mount based on
that.

Additionally mounting is best done through pmount/pmount-hal/pumount. I
strongly recommend installing pmount if it is available in Gentoo. g-v-m
will use pmount to do the mounting if it is installed.

Here's a little chart of the layers:

  Banshee

 ipod-sharp

libipoddevice

    HAL --- G-V-M (pmount-hal/pumount)
     | \
     |  D-Bus

udev/hotplug

   kernel

My best guess is you've got a break with HAL/g-v-m. Also, I think I will
turn this mail into a troubleshooting page on the Wiki. It's a fairly
common problem and I have been meaning to do that for a while.

Best,
Aaron