Advice on threading

Hello list,

I have an occasional problem, and am looking for suggestions.  I sometimes have email conversations where the other party is using software which does not use "in-reply-to" or related headers.  One example is using Craiglist's mail forwarding.  Long ago, I handled a similar case by manually editing the message file and adding an "In-reply-to" header, but that's clearly a lot of effort, and prone to typos and copy/paste errors.

I'm toying with creating a gitlab issue to have Balsa add such a header for the open message, which would then require the user to select the message to be used as the referenced one.  However, I'm not convinced that's really a good idea, due to the potential mess it can create if not used carefully.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for a better way to deal with this?

Jack