Gmail removing support for "less secure apps"

Hello all,
in order to access my Gmail folder from Balsa via IMAP, I need to
enable "less secure apps" in this page:
https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps
(you may need to be logged into a Google account to see this page)

According to this other page:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en
"less secure apps" means "third-party apps or devices which ask you to
sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password".

This has worked until now, but Google is now announcing that they'll
disable that option starting from May 30, 2022, that is, three weeks
from now. This means I won't be able to use Balsa to read my Gmail
folder anymore (I've just checked again that if I tick off the option,
trying to open the folder in Balsa gives an "authentication failed"
message).

Are you aware of this issue and are you planning to act on it, or is
there already a way to work around it?

The version of Balsa I'm using is the one shipped with Debian stable,
that is, 2.6.1.

Thanks
Gerardo Ballabio