Re: Trying to build on Mint 20 ... [msg2mw gmail com]

libenchant-2.so.2.2.15 or similar is just the shared library that can be used to execute balsa but insufficient to compile. enchant.pc is typically a part of a 'dev' package containing configuration, header files, and sometimes some configuration. The dev package is called libenchant-2-dev on Ubuntu.

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 1:24 AM Mike Witt via balsa-list <balsa-list gnome org> wrote:
On 10/04/2021 04:41:44 PM, Jack via balsa-list wrote:
> On 2021.10.04 18:29, Mike Witt via balsa-list wrote:
>>> Those look OK to me.  Can you post part of config.log?
>>
>> I'm so sorry. I didn't really know about config.log. I'm really not
>> used to doing this. There are some very obvious errors in there, for
>> example:
> When things go well, config.log becomes irrelevant.  It helps when
> things do not go well, as now.  Also, "obvious" is a very relative
> term.  Once you have much more experience tracking down problems like
> this, you will recognize that those particular errors are really not
> important at all (more below.)
>>
>> gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-V'
>> gcc: fatal error: no input files
>> gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-qversion'; did you
>> mean '--version'?
>> gcc: fatal error: no input files
>> gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-V'
>> gcc: fatal error: no input files
>> gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-qversion'; did you
>> mean '--version'?
>> gcc: fatal error: no input files
>>
>> Do you want me to post the whole log?

> It should not be necessary, but don't try to extract single lines.
> Post the contiguous set of the last twenty or so lines before:
>
> ## ---------------- ##
> ## Cache variables. ##
> ## ---------------- ##

Sorry, I thought I did that. Here they are. It seems to be looking for
"enchant.pc" -- as far as I can tell, I don't have that (or I don't
know where to look for it).

configure:14357: $? = 1
configure:14371: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors " enchant != 1.6.1
"
Package enchant was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `enchant.pc'
No package 'enchant' found
configure:14374: $? = 1
configure:14388: result: no
No package 'enchant' found
configure:14404: error: Package requirements ( enchant != 1.6.1 ) were
not met:

No package 'enchant' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables SPELL_CFLAGS
and SPELL_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

## ---------------- ##
## Cache variables. ##
## ---------------- ##

ac_cv_build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu