Re: Mangled signature

On 02/25/2020 12:59:18 PM Tue, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
Dear List,

The list server sometimes delivers a signed e-mail with an invalid signature--I hate to see that red padlock!

By chance, I found a locally saved fcc-copy of such a message, and before removing it as a duplicate, I diffed it with the
list-sent version. The text part was sent encoded as quoted-printable, and a line containing "main.c" was wrapped
immediately before the ".c", which became the start of the next line. Somewhere along the way, that was interpreted as
dot-stuffing, and the dot was removed.

The version in the archive [0] has "main.c", so the miscreant is somewhere in the process of getting the
message back to me. Any thoughts about what could be doing it? And should the quoted-printable encoder be more
defensive, and not wrap a dot to the start of a line?

Oh, never mind, I remember now--it's the crappy POP server:

connected to inbound.att.net
connection is encrypted
R '+OK Hello from jpop-0.1'

Better than not wrapping a '.' might be to encode it (=2E) when it begins a line?