Re: [RFC] configure options with-gnome, with-gpgme

Am 18.05.19 22:24 schrieb(en) Jack via balsa-list:
(1) The *only* use of the --with-gnome option seems to be setting the “Categories” items in the *.desktop
files.  I.e. it looks as if the description of the option is wrong (“…Use GNOME libraries…”), and couldn't we
just hard-wire GNOME in the desktop files, or does this trigger any negative side effects?

I run a non-gnome system (specifically systemd free) so as long as --with-gnome doesn't actually drag in any
additional gnome-based dependencies, I don't have a problem with this.  Also, aren't the .desktop files
agnostic to the desktop environment?

Yes, they should…

For me, the line in the desktop file is

        Categories=GNOME;GTK;Network;Email;

Looking at the desktop file specs [1, 2], the “Categories” for Balsa should contain “Network” as Main
Category, and “Email” as Additional Category.  Both “GTK” (“Application based on GTK+ libraries”) and “GNOME”
(“Application based on GNOME libraries”) are allowed, but as we don't use any Gnome libs any more, IMO adding
the latter is simply wrong (or confusing at least).

As I use XFCE, I'm not sure if omitting GNOME would break anything on the Gnome desktop, though.  Maybe
someone using Gnome could test it?

Cheers,
Albrecht.

[1] <https://specifications.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html>