Re: [Patch] IMAP goes GIO

Hi Jack,

On 05/15/2018 07:16:19 PM Tue, Jack wrote:
Hi Peter,
Yes, but I really prefer JWZ threading (even though I think I've found a bug in the algorithm, which I have
still not yet fully tracked down.)  I would have no problem using flat threading for all IMAP folders, but I
suppose that would also require another patch. :-)  Or - might it make sense (and be not too difficult) that
local mail stores use the configured threading/sorting, but IMAP stores/folders use whatever the server
provides?  I assume that notification is due to Balsa asking the server if it could thread/sort in the way
the configuration is set.

Yes, the imap protocol includes the possibility of server-side threading (THREADING=REFERENCES, Iirc) but
many servers (cough, GMail, cough) don't implement it. Balsa handles threading for local mailboxes, but
relies on the host for imap. As before, it doesn't have to be that way--we could move the threading code to a
place where it was used for any backend that doesn't natively implement it.

All comments welcome!