Re: [Patch] IMAP goes GIO

On 05/15/2018 06:37:11 PM Tue, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
Hi Jack:

On 05/15/2018 04:06:40 PM Tue, Jack wrote:
Final issue, unrelated to POP3 or IMAP - this is something I've actually noticed for some time, but this mailing list
seems to be the only one where I see this - Albrecht's previous response was TO: me, and CC: the list.  When I hit
"G" to reply to the group, the reply windows comes up, but no address in either To: or CC:.  If I Reply All,
it comes up To: Albrecht, and CC: the list, which is not wrong, but I have a personal preference to To: the list, and
CC: the individual (which I often omit, especially if I know the person is subscribed to the list.).

As I recall, a cursory glance at the code didn't show a quick fix for that, but it definitely needs a fix!
I'll look again…

So, here's the problem: if you hit 'Reply to group', Balsa tries to follow RFC 2369[0], which describes how
to handle 'mailing list command specification header fields', and, in particular, Balsa looks for a
'List-Post:' header. If the message you're replying to is the one from a conforming list, it finds that
header and sets up the 'To:' field correctly. If you received a copy addressed to you directly, it doesn't
have that header, and Balsa just gives up. A better reaction might be to pop up a dialog pointing out that
the message doesn't appear to have been sent from a group, and suggesting 'Reply all' as an alternative.

What do you think?

Peter

[0] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2369