Re: local SPAM filtering: was: [Patch] Enable multi-threaded POP3 retrieval

Hi Jack:

Am 07.01.18 04:11 schrieb(en) Jack:
Gentoo has quite a large list of apps in their mail-filter category.  I have started to go through them, but
so far, the problem for me is that most of the are not suitable for my usage - a single user wanting to
filter multiple pop3 feeds.  When I have more time, I'll go through the list with a bit more care than I have
bothered with so far.  However, thanks for the suggestions.

I use spamassassin and procmail for local spam filtering.  In short:

(1) install spamassassin, its client (spamc) and procmail

(2) optionally install razor and/or pyzor

(3) initially train the Bayes db with the spam/ham files you can find on the spamassassin site

(4) create a system-wide spamassassin config (Ubuntu/Debian: /etc/spamassassin/local.cf) according to your
needs.  I had to add the following for using Pyzor and for better filtering results
---8<----------------------------
required_score 4.0
use_pyzor 1
pyzor_options --homedir /etc/spamassassin
use_bayes 1
bayes_path /var/lib/spamassassin/bayes_db/bayes
---8<----------------------------

(5) for testing, send a RFC822 file (e.g. one message from a maildir mailbox) to spamc: “spamc <
message_file”.  The output should contain a new “X-Spam-Status:” header

(6) create/modify the ~/.procmailrc file by adding the following rules at the beginning (stolen from
somewhere on the Internet):
---8<----------------------------
:0fw: .spamc.lck
* < 4194304
| spamc

:0:
Junk/
---8<----------------------------
The first rule sends messages smaller than 4 MByte to spamc.  The second shifts all messages which have been
classified as spam to the Maildir mailbox “Junk”.  If you trust your provider's spam headers (I don't; my
provider classifies all GPG-encrypted messages as Spam…), you may /prepend/ appropriate rules to shift such
messages to Junk, saving the time for the local check.

(7) In the Balsa mailbox configuration, activate “Filter messages through procmail” and set “procmail -f -”
as procmail command.

From time to time, I use the messages in the Junk mailbox to train spamassassin: “sudo sa-learn --spam
--progress ~/mail/Junk”.

Hope this helps,