Re: GNOME Goal proposal: app menu retirement [aday gnome org]

…sorry for jumping into this old discussion, I've been on vacation…

Am 21.07.18 20:34 schrieb(en) Jack via balsa-list:
I'd rather say the disconnect between incoming and outgoing server settings, as I use both POP3 and IMAP, but
I do agree, to a point.

After switching the lower-level networking interface to a unified base (libnetclient), I currently try to
create a unified interface for IMAP, POP and SMTP configuration.  This is somewhat difficult, though, and has
been delayed by too much real-life work (and, yes, the vacation…).  I promise to invest more time into it!

An other (very unusual) feature of Balsa's IMAP implementation is the distinction between IMAP mailbox, IMAP
folder and IMAP subfolder (the latter even not accessible through the config dialogue).  The typical (IMHO)
IMAP use case is to access the complete folder tree of the remote server, and show/hide certain folders using
subscribe/unsubscribe.

IOW, would it make sense to keep /only/ the “IMAP folder” option, and to drop the other two completely?
Would we need a fallback path for old configurations using the IMAP mailbox or subfolder?  Opinions?

However, both are on the Preferences dialog, so they are physically close in where they get set up.  I
suppose it would be useful in many cases to be more like other apps, in that when you set up a new email
account, aside from specifying the incoming and outgoing server addresses separately, the initial assumption
is that the security (username, password, and security type) is the same for both.

Good point.  I'll add that to my TODO list (to be honest, I didn't look into the wizard yet).

Also - many email apps know or have a way to look up most of the server settings based on the email address.
Is that something balsa could do, or do they depend on proprietary databases for that data?

Afaict, at least Thunderbird uses some kind of intelligent probing (looking for servers like
“mail.provider.com”, “smtp.provider.com”, … if the mail address is “…@provider.com”), and then trying the
various encryption options.  This /should/ work for the most ISP's, but is difficult for environments with
stuff like Kerberos auth.  But, yes, for the first use case, it should be possible.  Will look into it, too.

Best,
Albrecht.