Re: How to create independant pop/smtp/mbox accounts

Jack a écrit :
On 2017.11.23 02:56, andré via balsa-list wrote:
I've finally got around to compiling Balsa (version 2.5.3 from the site). Balsa isn't available in my distro,
and compiling seemed to go well once I figured out the dependancies and flags.
I'm curious which distribution does not provide balsa?

Mageia, which is a fork of (now essentially dead) Mandriva/Mandrake,
 originally a fork of Red Hat.
There was a lot of cleaning of packages without maintainers, especially leaf packages.

I have 2 problems :
1) It doesn't give me access to the help. (Trying to read the help xml files with text editer is challenging
at best.)
I believe the help requires yelp (https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Yelp)
There is no config flag, and if configure doesn't find it, it doesn't complain - it just doesn't include the
help files.
Well, yelp, yelp-tools, and lib64yelp0 were already installed, but not lib64yelp-devel.
But recompiling with the latter installed didn't help.
It still gives me the message (translated from french) : The URI « help:balsa/index » doesn't refer to a
valid page.
I think it should be pointing to "/pdev/devinet/balsa/balsa-2.5.3/doc/fr/index.page".
I tried copying index.page to index in the same directory, and it didn't make any difference.

Is there a compile flag needed to give me access to the help files ?
I normally use french (which is automatically displayed in the compiled program), but seeing some of the
somewhat interesting translations,
it would probably be better to start with the english documentation.

2) I'm migrating from Mozilla (which uses mbox), where I link each pop account with its' own smtp account
(with the same id + password), and own mbox folder tree.
I would prefer using the same configuration for Balsa.
I don't think you can quite do that.  You can use an Identity to refer to a set of pop and smtp credentials,
but ALL retrieved mail goes into the Inbox.
I was hoping that I could have a separate inbox for each pop account.
I created a separate account just for Mageia due to getting problems from too many emails being filtered from
an inbox with my other software-oriented email.

You can use filters to move mail from Inbox to the identity specific folder based on the "To:" address,
although that won't quite work if you have another alias receiving mail at the same address.
(For example, my users.sourceforge.net address is only a redirect to my main ISP mailbox, and I have several
others which do the same.
Also, mailing lists have a To: of the list address, not your actual email.)
That could work for incoming mail, since I don't do redirection.
(Except for certain mostly spam, which doesn't have my email address in the "To" field.)
However, that makes filtering a lot more complex, since for most of my 5 accounts I filter to many different
mailboxes.
It also requires selecting the outgoing smtp accounts, instead of them being automatically associated to the
incoming account.

However, as most filtering beyond that are based on From or To addresses which represent mailing lists, that
still works fine for sending messages to an appropriate folder.

Once I have the base mboxes defined for each account, I don't think I'll have much problem creating the
various subsidiary folders.
I plan to use mostly filtering to sort incoming emails to the subsidiary folders.
As I said above, you might have to filter directly from the Inbox, but this should  not be a problem,
unless you have the same criteria for multiple pop accounts which you want to go to different addresses.
I suppose it might be possible to use other headers (Delivered-to: ?) which you would have to do with the
"User-Header" field on the filter dialog.

Any assistance will be very much appreciated.
Let us know if this is useful - there are others who might have different suggestions.
That does help.  As least I know I was trying the impossible.  And a possible workaround.
I have been spoiled by the Netscape/Mozilla Suite/Mozilla Seamonkey (or Thunderbird) feature of a separate
mbox inbox/drafts/sent/trash for each email address.
(Unfortunately I have other problems with Mozilla programs, seemingly due to chaotic "improvements".)
It makes me wonder how difficult it would be for Balsa to implement a separate set of base mbox folders for
each pop account ...
(If that is ever seriously considered, I'd be willing to help ...)

Thanks

--
André
Jack