Enchant versions

On 11/20/2017 11:45:15 AM Mon, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
…
Upgrading from enchant-1.6.0 to enchant-1.6.1 causes this error above.

Great work isolating that--many thanks!

I haven't found a way to get Balsa working with enchant-1.6.1. But a number of newer versions of enchant have
been released[0], and at least the current version (2.1.3) is parallel-installable with 1.6.0 with a new
pkg-config name, enchant-2. I've installed it from a tarball and tested it with Balsa's internal
spell-checker, and it works without crashing. I also tested Balsa with with gspell built from git master (=
1.7.1?), which requires enchant-2, and that also works. No changes were needed in Balsa's spell-checking code
in either case.

To be ready for new enchant releases, I've pushed build system changes to look first for enchant-2, and then for
enchant <= 1.6.0. The build now fails if the enchant version is 1.6.1 with a message that version <= 1.6.0 is
needed, which is better than building a Balsa that crashes.

The autotools version (configure.ac and friends) works fine. With enchant-2.1.3 installed with
prefix=/usr/local, the meson/ninja version fails to link to libenchant-2, though I found nothing wrong in the
ninja.build script. Perhaps it will be OK with prefix=/usr--I haven't tried that.

Best,

Peter

[0] https://github.com/AbiWord/enchant/releases