Re: Touch UI

Hi Jack:

On 06/07/2016 11:53:28 AM Tue, Jack wrote:
On 2016.06.07 11:20, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
In the spirit of cleaning up the code tree, I propose to remove the --enable-touch-ui configuration option.
Exercising it has broken the build for a long time, so it seems to have no current value.

What, if any, is the potential use of the code?  For example, if someone were interested in attempting to
port Balsa to Android, would that code be of any use, or would it require a fresh start?  (Although I do have
an interest, I have no experience with developing for Android, so I don't know how much of the code needs to
be different from the base Linux/Posix code.)  I know there are folks running various Linux distributions on
tablets - might it be of any use there, or would a cleanup and fresh start still be the better option?

I haven't used Balsa with a touch-screen, so I don't have any thoughts about what would need to be changed to improve the
experience. The touch-ui effort began inn 2004; see the threads
<URL:https://mail.gnome.org/archives/balsa-list/2004-June/msg00063.html> and
<URL:https://mail.gnome.org/archives/balsa-list/2004-July/msg00096.html>. My guess is that the target devices would
be quite different now, and a fresh start would be needed.

Best,