Re: [Patch] use glib for digest calculations (was: Re: Sv: Balsa release?)

Hi Albert,
On 2016.12.29 13:27, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
Am 29.12.16 19:12 schrieb(en) Jack:
openssl s_client -starttls imap -connect your.provider.com:143

I get a timeout for yahoo, at&t, and gmail. (AT&T email is actually run by Yahoo, although it's an att.net server.) As far as I can tell, all three should support this. (I mainly use POP3 with balsa on my main desktop PC, but I use IMAP on my laptop, tablet, and phone.) I'm using openssl 1.0.2j. Is this likely a configuration issue on my part, or are there known problems with any of those providers?

Maybe they don't support IMAP w/ STARTTLS over port 143, but only IMAPS (port 993)? I.e. you have to say

openssl s_client -connect your.provider.com:993

as to negotiate the ssl connection *before* starting the protocol. At least for yahoo, this works:

<snip>
albrecht@deneb:~$ openssl s_client -connect imap.mail.yahoo.com:993
[... snip the certificate stuff ...]
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 ID MOVE NAMESPACE X-ID-ACLID UIDPLUS LITERAL+ CHILDREN XAPPLEPUSHSERVICE XYMHIGHESTMODSEQ AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=XOAUTH2 AUTH=XYMCOOKIE AUTH=XYMECOOKIE AUTH=XYMCOOKIEB64 AUTH=XYMPKI] IMAP4rev1 imapgate-1.8.1_01.20166
0001 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 ID MOVE NAMESPACE X-ID-ACLID UIDPLUS LITERAL+ CHILDREN XAPPLEPUSHSERVICE XYMHIGHESTMODSEQ AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=XOAUTH2 AUTH=XYMCOOKIE AUTH=XYMECOOKIE AUTH=XYMCOOKIEB64 AUTH=XYMPKI
0001 OK completed
</snip>

I.e. yahoo doesn't support CRAM-MD5, only LOGIN and PLAIN (plus some non-standard extensions like XOAUTH2, etc.).

Cheers,
Albrecht.

I'll have to try that, but looking at the config in Thunderbird, it did look like all three supported 143 with STARTTLS. Maybe it's just a generic config for the dropdown, and would only be caught if I actaully tried to use it there. I'll get back to this later.

Jack