Re: Help required - noticing corruption

On 29.09.2012 06:07:08, Jack wrote:
One of the questions Michelle asked was whether there was any way Balsa (or any email software) could notice and warn about corruption in the underlying email store (whether mbox, MailDir, or MH). I've been thinking about this for a bit, and I wonder if there isn't something that might help, at least a little. What information does Balsa keep about the state of the message store? Number of messages per mailbox? Other details? I know I have sometimes manually manipulated the files (such as deleting a message with bad HTML that Balsa [actually gtkHTML] choked on) from an mbox file, and Balsa (if it even noticed the change) just accepted the new state of affairs. If Balsa DOES notice any such changes, would it be reasonable (based on a configuration setting, perhaps) for it to notify the user before simply resetting it's index information? Am I totally off base here, or might this be worth discussing further?

1. Mailboxes _should_ be modified externally by [MDAs](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_delivery_agent), though this point is still faulty in Balsa. 2. Let [DLP software](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_loss_prevention_software) do its job and leave Balsa alone.

IMHO though.
--
Ildar Mulyukov,  free SW designer/programmer
email: ildar users sourceforge net