Re: gtk3 compile problems

On 2012.02.29 20:15, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
On 02/29/2012 06:42:30 PM Wed, Jack wrote:
After wondering why the main branch was giving me compile problems trying to use gtk3, I finally remembered how to check out a remote branch in git. Now I'm getting a bunch of pango related problems. Searching led me to http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-896464-start-0.html which basically says "Pango related errors are caused by >=dev-libs/glib-2.30 in combination with =x11-libs/pango-1.28*. Short version is that this version of pango is too old for this version of glib."

I have pango 1.28.4 and glib 2.30.2. I'd rather not try to downgrade pango, so I'm going to try their suggestion of removing -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED and -DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED. However, before I get too deep into this, is this a known issue, or do I just have an unusual configuration?

Not sure how you were using gtk3 with master, but let's not go there...
Exactly ..... ;-)

Looks like the issue is the deprecation of G_CONST_RETURN, which must have been used by pango < 1.29. I haven't seen that error--the Fedora packages seem to have been kept in synch.
I suspect it's only likely to show up on source based distros like Gentoo, where you have enough rope to hang yourself and get this type of mismatch. However, I've now found several Gentoo forum posts on the same issue (not with balsa, but other apps) so it does happen, even if it's not going to show up on distros like Fedora or Ubuntu.

Until you get an upgrade of pango, the simplest fix may be to hide the fact that you're using git: mv .git save.git and mv it back when you need to use git in the tree. That will suppress all the *_DISABLE_DEPRECATED flags.
Well, I did manage to edit configure.in, and effectively, it was to remove the "if git" stuff near the end - effectively having the same effect. Is this a sufficiently transient issue (mismatch of pango and glib) that it's not worth adding or modifying the "if" tests in configure.in? Separately, why would these things depend on whether you're using git or not? If you're not using git, then you're using a distro version or tarball that was created from git. If autogen or bootstrap was already run, it's too late, and if not, why should those flags be different?

Anyway - it's compiled and working (using it now) and I'll respond to Helmut's message, although I don't know I actually have anything to add.

Jack