Re: problem with kaddressbook

On 2009.09.04 18:29, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
Hi Jack!

On 09/03/2009 04:11:54 PM Thu, Jack wrote:
I've pointed Balsa to my kaddressbook std.vcf file. When I open the file through one of the KDE apps, I see dozens of entries. When I open the address book in Balsa, I only see three names. I finally tracked it down that Balsa only shows those names with a EMAIL;TYPE=PREF:name host line. Most of my entries have only an EMAIL:name host The PREF is only there for names that have two email addresses.

Should Balsa show names with only a single EMAIL entry, or was this a problem when kaddressbook imported the original vcards, which were originally exported from Outlook?

Is my best fix just to manually add ";TYPE=PREF" to the other EMAIL lines?

It looks like a bug in Balsa's vCard address book code.  It looks for:

EMAIL;.*:name host

evidently based on the assumption that all EMAIL lines have ";TYPE=...:" qualifiers. I can't find any authority that requires them, and RFC-242[56] [1] makes it clear that they are optional, with TYPE=INTERNET as the default, so perhaps Balsa should be more permissive--patch attached.

Best,

Peter

[1] <URL:http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2426.html> "defines the profile of the MIME Content-Type [MIME-DIR] for directory information for a white-pages person object, based on a vCard electronic business card.", which doesn't define what an address book should contain, but may be as close to a definition as we'll find...

Peter,

Thanks. I agree that just dropping the semi-colon from the match should work. It may take me a bit of time to figure out how to apply the patch within the gentoo build framework, but I know I'll get it eventually, and I'll let you know how it works.

Should this be formally filed as a bug anywhere?

Jack