Re: problem with kaddressbook

On 09/04/2009 07:44:23 PM Fri, Jack wrote:
On 2009.09.04 18:29, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
Hi Jack!

On 09/03/2009 04:11:54 PM Thu, Jack wrote:
I've pointed Balsa to my kaddressbook std.vcf file. When I open the file through one of the KDE apps, I see dozens of entries. When I open the address book in Balsa, I only see three names. I finally tracked it down that Balsa only shows those names with a EMAIL;TYPE=PREF:name host line. Most of my entries have only an EMAIL:name host The PREF is only there for names that have two email addresses.

Should Balsa show names with only a single EMAIL entry, or was this a problem when kaddressbook imported the original vcards, which were originally exported from Outlook?

Is my best fix just to manually add ";TYPE=PREF" to the other EMAIL lines?

It looks like a bug in Balsa's vCard address book code.  It looks for:

EMAIL;.*:name host

evidently based on the assumption that all EMAIL lines have ";TYPE=...:" qualifiers. I can't find any authority that requires them, and RFC-242[56] [1] makes it clear that they are optional, with TYPE=INTERNET as the default, so perhaps Balsa should be more permissive--patch attached.

Best,

Peter

[1] <URL:http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2426.html> "defines the profile of the MIME Content-Type [MIME-DIR] for directory information for a white-pages person object, based on a vCard electronic business card.", which doesn't define what an address book should contain, but may be as close to a definition as we'll find...

Peter,

Thanks. I agree that just dropping the semi-colon from the match should work. It may take me a bit of time to figure out how to apply the patch within the gentoo build framework, but I know I'll get it eventually, and I'll let you know how it works.

Should this be formally filed as a bug anywhere?

I just pushed the patch to git master, so it will find its way into releases in due course. Feel free to suggest the patch to anyone who needs it more urgently.