Re: Libnotify support

On 07/20/05 10:50:26, Johan Brannlund wrote:
Alright, so I've worked some more on my little libnotify project. I
now have proper autoconf support and I can also get the From and Subject headers of messages in the notification. However, I don't think I'm doing the latter part quite right. Right now, I'm basically doing

new_msg_no=mailbox->first_unread;
new_msg=libbalsa_mailbox_get_message(mailbox,new_msg_no);
printf("%s\n",libbalsa_address_get_name_from_list(new_msg->headers->from));

and I'm not at all confident that this is the right thing to do. For
instance, what if several messages arrive simultaneously?

Good question - you have got a decision to make! There are several possibilities, one can display the first sender's name and just mention "several new messages arrived, first from %s", or display first, wait few seconds, display second, etc. I am not sure which one is best, I have never seen libnotify in action, how disturbing it is etc.

I'm also
not
quite sure exactly what "first" in "first_unread" refers to.

Messages are stored in mailbox in the arrival order, "first unread" message is the one among the unread ones that was appended to the mailbox earliest.

I'd
imagine this would also fail for unopened mailboxes, although I
haven't tried it yet.

Yes, it would fail. I would display nothing for closed mailboxes.

Please advise.

Pawel