Re: balsa gpg with pinentry?

On 11/22/04 02:59:22, Albrecht Dreß wrote:

Basically, you need to install the package which contains gpg-agent, and all packages it depends upon. As I don't use debian, I have no idea which package actually contains it. But as there *is* a pinentry package (which doesn't make sense without it), I guess debian provides it in some package
.
If you don't want to build gnupg-1.9.x yourself, there is no need to
install any development package apart from gpgme and libgpg-error
which are needed for balsa.

The reason for my confusion was that I thought gpg-agent was a separate package/program/entity. Since I couldn't find any debian packages for gpg-agent, I thought it may have been provided by the above (ie pinentry). After looking some more into it I found that you do indeed need the 1.9 version of gnupg, or parts of it at least, to have gpg- agent, and so I built it myself.

[snip page]
Yes, that page needs cleanup :-/ I'll investigate that and post an
update asap. As far as I can tell form memory (currently at work,
sitting at a [ugh!] Winbloze box), dirmngr is needed only for s/mime
support. lib(assuan|gcrypt|ksba) are needed to build gnupg-1.9, even
if you build gpg-agent only, neither gpg2 nor gpgsm.

So here's what I did to get it working on my debian sid system (I got most details from http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html)

(feel free to use the below on your page)
1. apt-get install gnupg libgpg-error-dev pinentry-gtk libksba8 libksba-dev libpth-dev libgcrypt11-dev libaussan-dev (not sure if I need all of the above -dev libraries for the build or not)

2. build gpg-agent with
./configure --enable-agent-only && make && make check
make install && ldconfig (as root)

3. Added 'use-agent' to gpg.conf

4. Make a new file ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf with the contents:

pinentry-program /usr/local/bin/pinentry-gtk
no-grab
default-cache-ttl 1800

then run
echo "test" | gpg -ase -r 0xDEADBEEF | gpg
to test the installation (DEADBEEF replaced with your key)

5. Start balsa, write an email and see if you're asked for your passphrase.

Factoring out the pinentry installation stuff from the s/mime stuff should be your first try at cleaning up the page. I don't yet know what this s/mime stuff is, so the above is how I did just one thing at a time.

Now mind you, the pinentry dialog is way uglier than the balsa passphrase dialog. Sadly, same goes for the qt one. Also, I'm not sure whether balsa will open its own dialog or whether pinentry will be used when the passphrase is not cached yet.

Cheers,
	Kacper