Re: Two problems with new FC3 x86_64 install

On 12/27/2004 10:26:17 PM, Willem Riede wrote:
I'm upgrading to an Athlon 64 PC running FC3 x86_64. I compiled balsa 2.2.6 for that architecture. I'm running dovecot as the IMAP server on the same machine, and selected Maildir format this time (my old PC uses mbox, so this is a new experience for me).
I now see two issues:

1. Balsa's process hangs around indefinitely after quit.
0   500  7173     1  15   0 192660 35200 184467 S  ?          0:13
balsa
[wriede backup ~]$ strace -p 7173
Process 7173 attached - interrupt to quit
futex(0x390a52e620, FUTEX_WAIT, 2, NULL

Google tells me that something similar has been reported before:
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/balsa-list/2004-April/msg00067.html),
but I can't find if it has been resolved, or what the fix is if it has...

Have you got all the glibc updates? I have tested balsa-2.2.6 on exactly the same hardware (even SMP) + IMAP (but without POP3) and with current glibc it works just fine.

2. I deliver mail with procmail to Maildir folders, new messages get
delivered
to for exampe ~/Maildir/.Test/new, but don't get noticed by balsa
until Test gets re-opened. Is that normal?

No, it is not. I assume that clicking "check" does not make balsa discover them? And the periodic checking does not discover them either? I believe that even opening another message from the same folder should have the same effect of checking the folder for new messages. In any case balsa may not discover that instantly. We might be using something like libgamin for this (with all its tradeoffs).

Pawel