Re: Popup window placement under sawfish

On 10/13/2003 12:19:06 PM, Marco van Oostende wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use RH9 where I replaced the window manager with sawfish. Main reason
> for this is that new windows are automatically placed on non-used
> desktop space, instead of stacking them in the upper left corner. Using
> a 1600x1200 display, this works much better for me. (I realize this is
> a big, different discussion, not important here...)
>
> Problem is this: when most of the screen is almost full but there is
> available space on the right hand side of the screen, the new mail
> notification popup is placed wrong. I would expect it to fill it with
> the right corner touching the right side of the screen, but the left
> border of the popup is now touching the right border of the window on
> the left (still there? I dumped a screen example on
> http://www.oostende.nl/temp/wrong-popup.png :~)

The problem is related to this code from src/main-window.c

        dlg = gtk_message_dialog_new(NULL, /* NOT transient for
                                            * Balsa's main window */
                                     (GtkDialogFlags) 0,
                                     GTK_MESSAGE_INFO,
                                     GTK_BUTTONS_OK, msg);

Now, I wonder why this window is supposed to be unparented? My guess is
that it show it even if the main window is minimized.

I think there was a possibility to control the window behaviour under
sawmill by using gtk_window_set_wmclass() calls, i.e. sawfish could
remember that a certain window should be placed centrally. We do make
this call for this window, so I believe it should be possible to set some
placement options for this window and sawmill presumably will remember
it.

Pawel