Re: Reporting bugs

On 2003.05.07 14:49:27 +0100 Darko Obradovic wrote:
> Am 06.05.2003 19:50 schrieb(en) Carlos Morgado:
>> Not quite, if you drop something in a diferent media it gets copied.
>> 'diferent mailbox' is pretty consistent with 'diferent media' so that's
>> the expected behaviour ;)
>
> I thought Carlos was somewhat wrong here, but after reading the following
> from the HIG at
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/userinput.html#drag-drop
> I'm not sure what to think anymore:

good good then the HIG performed its task ;)
> -----
> Move selected objects when the user drags them within a container. Copy or
> link to selected objects when the user drags them between containers. A
> "container" may be a boundary imposed by the user interface (e.g. a
> top-level application window), or a user interface representation of a
> physical container (e.g. a mail server or disk partition).
> -----
>
> I'd still interprete this as a hint to move mails by default, but Carlos
> has a point here witzh these "physical containers". ;)

My point actually was, "modeling our behaviour to fit in with other
applications is probably wrong and may make bold assumptions about what
the user expects", however i phrased it in a way people seem to have taken
my words literally ;) (otoh, being consistent with say, evolution or
netscape mail is arguably good)

I actually have 'move by default' checked cause as a lot of people
pointed out it's not very usual to keep a bunch of copies of mail laying
around. And that is a very good reason to default to move. "is similar
to nautilus" however is not.
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds