Drag-n-Drop defaults (was Re: Reporting bugs)

On 2003.05.06 10:50 Carlos Morgado wrote:

>On 2003.05.06 18:40:14 +0100 Darko Obradovic wrote:
>>>
>>> That's a pref. Check "Drag and drop moves mesages by default" to get the
>>> expected bahavior.
>>
>> May I vote for usability and consistency again? If yopu drag and drop
>> something between Nautilus folders, it get's moved. You can copy things
>
>Not quite, if you drop something in a diferent media it gets copied.
>'diferent mailbox' is pretty consistent with 'diferent media' so that's
>the expected behaviour ;)

I don't know how Nautilus behaves or very many other applications that
support DnD, but I'm still going to jump in with disagreement here.  I
have the preference item set to move messages by default as I suspect
most long term users of Balsa do.  I too would vote/argue that the
preference setting should be eliminated and move be the default behavior.
How many people really want to make copies of messages in various folders
as a *default* behavior?

IMO a mailbox is a mailbox is a mailbox be it local, pop, or imap so
where is this 'different media'?  Does your graphical file manager go
around coping files when you DnD them on other directories in the local
filesystem?  I know they often do when dropping them on removable media
objects (though my preference here would still be move by default on
anything representing a filesystem object), but that is pretty obviously
'different media'.

Just one man's opinion....
--
Lynn Kerby <mailto:lfk@kerbit.net>