Re: user interface niggles

On 04/10/2003, Carlos Morgado wrote:

> On 2003.04.10 14:46:25 +0100 David Scotson wrote:
>>

>> I don't consider myself 'a fumbling idiot' (at least not in regards
>> to using a PC) but this dialog really stopped me in my tracks. It
>> simply didn't follow the conventions I am used to, even in general
>> appearance, size etc. Obviously, I am more accustomed to Mac OS X
>> which, like the Gnome HIG, frowns on Yes/No/Cancel, and has much
>> more obvious indications of which button is the default.
>>

> as I said, I have no particular attachement to the dialog - i like
> questions and 'yes' 'no' etc but that's a personal view which
> i'm not even very attached to
>
>> I had to work out what the dialog meant from scratch, which inspired
>> my original email. If I had been aiming to save rather than discard
>> I think I may have assumed save to be the default action, which of
>> course would be the wrong thing to do in this case.

FWIW: Netscape has "Message has not been sent. Do you want to save the
message in the Drafts folder?" with buttons labeled "Don't Save",
"Cancel", and the default "Save".  The first is on the left, and the
other two packed on the right. "No", "Cancel", and "Yes" seem to be
respectively equivalent responses.