Re: user interface niggles

Am 2003.04.10 13:14 schrieb(en) Carlos Morgado:

> On 2003.04.10 11:46:51 +0100 David Scotson wrote:
>>
>> When trying to paste into the To, Subject or Cc fields the text to be
>> pasted appears in the main message body area instead. Your FAQ mentions
>> a similar problem where the text appears after you press return but
>> this appears to be a separate issue.
>>

> You need to give the field focus first, or do it all in 1 action -
> point at the field and middle click (this gives that field focus)
>
> The return issue is linked to the way the email fields scan input
> for valid adresses

But there has to happen something on the issues with theses panes in the
nearer future.... :-)

For example it's not possilbe to <ctrl>+<c> (speaking of balsa 2)

>> There is a 'grippy' on the separator between the To, Subject etc.
>> fields and the main body of the email that appears to have no real
>> function.
>>
> confirmed works on 1.4, don't have a 2.0 handy to check, but it
> should move separator and resize the panes

completely useless, or?
it even has some strange bugs (screenshots attached)
The first one was made by simply reducing the size of the headers a bit.
In such a case "Subject" is foled first.
To reproduce the 2nd on eyou have to completly hide the headers and then
move the grippy again a little bit down... :-)

>> When cancelling an email, the confirmation dialog is confusing.
>> According to the Gnome HIG [Don't Save] [Cancel] [Save] would be better
>> than the current [No] [Yes] [Cancel] with the default being [Save] as
>> it is
>
> i believe not actually answering the question and presenting buttons
> with actions makes the user ignore the question. that's worse.
> but that's just my opinion and i don't even have strong feelings about
> it.
>
>> non-destructive, rather than the current [No]. There are a few other
>> issues
>
> HIG nowadays believes the user is a fumbling idiot most of the times.
> Balsa believes the user is right most of the times. This I have stronger
> feelings about.

I don't want to say that users are idiots, but make life easy to users and
make the defaults harmless... :-)
And at least the order should fit the HIG, or?

>> with this dialog, e.g. it is a question, rather than a standard
>> confirmation alert, and it's message reads poorly if the email does not
>> have a destination address.
>
> hum, yeah the '' looks odd. any sugestions ?

how do you like "The message with the subject xxx to xxx has been changed,
do you want to save it?"

instead of '' there could be "The message with no subject to noone has
been changed..."

These means to strings in the code and even 2 strings to translate, but is
much more userfriendly...
(2 strings because the noone in to fits perfectly in the old sentence...
;-)

cu
/Steffen

--
  /"\
  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign    | "The opposite of a profound truth

new_msg_after_using_grippy2.jpg

new_msg_after_using_grippy.jpg

PGP signature