Re: user interface niggles

On 2003.04.10 11:46:51 +0100 David Scotson wrote:

> I hope you can use this information to further improve Balsa. Note that I
> am new to both Balsa & Linux, so some of these issues may be more general.
> For example,  I have heard cut & paste can be hit & miss on Linux.

XWindows copy'paste is 100% reliable. Except when you expect ctrl+c,
ctrl+v to work :) Middle mouse button pastes (simple as that). It pastes into
whatever
has focus at the time.

> Here are some of the things I have noticed:
>
> -------
> When trying to paste into the To, Subject or Cc fields the text to be
> pasted appears in the main message body area instead. Your FAQ mentions a
> similar problem where the text appears after you press return but this
> appears to be a separate issue.

You need to give the field focus first, or do it all in 1 action -
point at the field and middle click (this gives that field focus)

The return issue is linked to the way the email fields scan input
for valid adresses

> There is a 'grippy' on the separator between the To, Subject etc. fields
> and the main body of the email that appears to have no real function.

confirmed works on 1.4, don't have a 2.0 handy to check, but it
should move separator and resize the panes

> When new mail arrives the window listing emails updates in a strange
> manner. If the window was showing the most recent 10 emails before the new
> mail arrived I would expect it to show the most recent 10 emails taking
> into account the new arrivals rather than continue to display the exact
> same emails.

the message list show the first unread message if no message is
selected. most people read older -> newer, not the other way around

> When cancelling an email, the confirmation dialog is confusing. According
> to the Gnome HIG [Don't Save] [Cancel] [Save] would be better than the
> current [No] [Yes] [Cancel] with the default being [Save] as it is

i believe not actually answering the question and presenting buttons
with actions makes the user ignore the question. that's worse.
but that's just my opinion and i don't even have strong feelings about
it.

> non-destructive, rather than the current [No]. There are a few other issues

HIG nowadays believes the user is a fumbling idiot most of the times.
Balsa believes the user is right most of the times. This I have stronger
feelings about.

> with this dialog, e.g. it is a question, rather than a standard
> confirmation alert, and it's message reads poorly if the email does not
> have a destination address.

hum, yeah the '' looks odd. any sugestions ?

> In the meantime, do you find such 'superficial' bug reports useful, or are
> you fully aware of these issues and merely waiting for someone to find the
> time to make the necessary changes?

They are very usefull as most balsa users (the ones active on the
list at least) tend to be old hat types that basicly trample over
UI issues without flinching ;)

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds