Re: user interface niggles

On 2003.04.10 14:46:25 +0100 David Scotson wrote:

> I don't consider myself 'a fumbling idiot' (at least not in regards to
> using a PC) but this dialog really stopped me in my tracks. It simply
> didn't follow the conventions I am used to, even in general appearance,
> size etc. Obviously, I am more accustomed to Mac OS X which, like the Gnome
> HIG, frowns on Yes/No/Cancel, and has much more obvious indications of
> which button is the default.

as I said, I have no particular attachement to the dialog - i like
questions and 'yes' 'no' etc but that's a personal view which
i'm not even very attached to

> I had to work out what the dialog meant from scratch, which inspired my
> original email. If I had been aiming to save rather than discard I think I
> may have assumed save to be the default action, which of course would be
> the wrong thing to do in this case.

one more click on average :)
as for the new user if just clicks whatever is the default without
reading what it says i have no pitty for him. (hum ok i know pawel
and peter will pummel me for this :))

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds