Re: I'm new to balsa and can't get it to work ...

Carlos Morgado wrote:

> On 2002.03.25 01:28:21 +0000 Craig McCluskey wrote:
>
> > Checking or unchecking "Use APOP Authentication" makes no
> > difference.
> >

> odd, that would be my sugestion.

Well, tonight I find that if I leave "Use APOP Authentication" unchecked
and then click on the check mail button, Balsa goes off and (apparently)
talks with the POP server (on the RH PPP Dialer applet, there are solid
lines of red and green and the "modem" lights are blinking alot), but
nothing happens. Balsa locks up and the only way to get something to
happen is kill -9. Restarting Balsa works fine and then clicking the
authentication box and checking mail gets the error message about
authentication failure.

> do you know what type of auth the server expects ?

Not exactly. I do know that Eudora on Mac and Winders machines and
Netscape on Linux work it properly.

> is the server reachable from the internet ?

My initial response was yes, but then I recalled trying to check mail
from a non- utexas.edu machine (it didn't work).

> In short, I'd say balsa isn't considerably worse than any other MUA on
> this extreme situations.

Good to hear.

> Of course, as the license goes, use this program at your own risk. All
> we can say is we give our best.

Thanks for the efforts.

Craig

P.S. I'm manually sending this to the balsa-list instead of only back to
you Carlos.

--

 /"\
 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN	  "Friends don't send friends