Re: I'm new to balsa and can't get it to work ...

"E . A . Zen" wrote:

> RH7.2 is what I'm on for another month myself.  If you haven't
> yet, run uptodate; you'll find this will get most documentation
> matching the current client.

It's all up-to-date. Balsa's preference window doesn't match the docs.

> You may know this, but I'd like to step you through the account
> setup...

Yup, that's what I did. To make sure, I executed,

	cd
	rm `find . -print | grep balsa`

and started over. Once I got to the preferences window, I followed your
instructions. Still doesn't work.

> As for your question about the superblock text file for message
> handling, this is referred to as MH format, and is generally
> preferrable to the individual files, simply for reasons of
> clutter reduction and linear access; if you used ext3 when
> creating your partition(s), you'll find the equivelant of
> defragging a way to speed things up after you start accumulating
> 500Kbx-2Mbs of data to the file.  You'll find MH format, the
> oldest and orignal format of POSIX systems, the most common
> format used.

I had misunderstood the comment in the archives. I thought everything on
the POP server was downloaded as a single file. Carlos' comment
clarified things for me.

> If you want an option to save as seperate files,
> I'm sure that would be nice feature request.

Nope, not interested.

> On a related issue to the superblock text file, you're worried
> about the deletion of files, which is understandable....
>	-- snip --
> More and better saving techniques are introduced with each
> stable release version, so, I seriously would recommend
> upgrading to atleast 1.2.3 (Coincidence?  Nah;-).

I'm running 1.2.3 (it's what came with RH7.2). I tried updating to
1.2.4, but
get the error message,

error: failed dependencies:
	libesmtp >= 0.8.6 is needed by balsa-1.2.4-1

I haven't yet bothered to get libesmtp >= 0.8.6 yet.

> I hope I've answered your questions and perhaps spotted your
> authentication trouble for you.

Yes on the questions. Unfortunately no on the authentication. (I'll
reply to Carlos' email separately.)

Craig

P.S. By the way, shouldn't the list server set the "reply to" to go to
balsa-list@gnome.org, and not to the individual responder?

--

 /"\
 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN	  "Friends don't send friends