Re: Proposition for new stable release

On 2002.02.25 11:36 Emmanuel wrote:
> 	Hi all,
> Hi repost this message I sent few days ago, because it seems that it
> has been totaly ignored. Please at least tell me it's a too bad idea
> ;-)
> Thanks
>
> AFAICS 1.3.x is pretty stable and yet adds new features to 1.2.x. So
> why not release it shortly as a 1.4.0-pre1 to release a 1.4.x branch
> soon?
> 	The idea behind is that it seems like we will spend a lot of
> time on porting to gnome2 that will be broken for quite a long time.
> Moreover the only feature that is really lacking is GnuPG/PGP
> support, but I'm not sure we can do both porting and adding this
> feature.
> 	I also try to begin a backport of bug fixes from CVS to 1.2.x,
> but
> because 1.3.x seems actually stable, I don't it is really smart to
> spend
> time on backporting fixes, and I think 1.2.x really lacks the
> search/filters features.
> So to be short the aim is to have a more feature complete stable
> branch
> (1.4.x), not loose time on backport to a too behind actual stable
> branch
> (1.2.x), and focus on a 1.9.x devel branch which will be the port to
> gnome2.
> Moreover we can also imagine that if someone is interested in
> implementing
> GnuPG/PGP support, he can manage to maintain a patch against stable
> branch
> (or open a 1.5.x devel cvs branch) because I think that it is quite
> orthogonal to changes necessary for the port (but I could be wrong).
> OK, thank you if you manage to read until here ;-) What do you think
> of these ideas?

Sounds OK to me.

The only two things I am not 100% happy with are:
a). IMAP searching
b). IMAP caching (particularly of large mailboxes and large messages).
But I guess we can live with them.

Concerning the TODO list I promised once:

If somebody was so kind to go through balsa.sgml and remove entries for
non-existing UI and add entries (with description, if possible, but
FIXME tags are fine as well) for new UI elements, it would truly be
appreciated.

-pawel