Re: Balsa: Indirect linking to OpenSSL via LGPL and OpenLDAP libs

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 09:20:19AM +0100, Steffen Klemer wrote:
> To come to an end with this, perhaps Andrew could post a Mail-draft
> to the List and if nobody has any strong disagreement sb. should
> send it to all the people from AUTHORS.  And if nobody sends in say
> 2 weeks a disagreement, everything should be ok to add the exception
> of the GPL.

An OpenSSL exception was already provided in 2.0.4. See its README.

> I don't think it would be a short term solution to switch to gnutls, or?

That would leave me with a problem of me still having to deal with
Balsa indirectly linking to OpenSSL through the ESMTP and LDAP
libraries unfortunately. I'd then have to rely on the maintainers of
those packages to provide non-OpenSSL or GnuTLS linked packages to
depend on instead. Very messy.

Anyway, the Balsa 2.0.4 Debian packages are ready for uploading into
Debian from:

	http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~alau/debian/

The only problem now is that Jules Bean is still officially the
maintainer of Balsa, and thus I need to jump through several hoops in
Debian to override his stale Balsa package.

Yours sincerely,
Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau

* Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau              Computer Science & Student Rep, UNSW *
*   # apt-get into it                 Debian GNU/Linux Package Maintainer *
*     <netsnipe(+)debianplanet.org\0>      <alau(+)cse.unsw.edu.au\0>     *
* GnuPG 1024D/2E8B68BD 0B77 73D0 4F3B F286 63F1  9F4A 9B24 C07D 2E8B 68BD *

PGP signature