Re: This is WAY off topic, but...

> On Tue, 18 September 09:00 Raven wrote:
> >
> > On 2001.09.18 02:16 Brian Stafford wrote:
> > >
> > > My personal feeling is that routing mail internally via SMTP on a
> small
> > local
> > > network is more bother than its worth.  I'd set up an IMAP server on
> the
> > publicly
> > > accessible host, have the MTA deliver to that and point the UAs at
> the
> > IMAP
> > > server.  The UAs can always save the message locally if necessary.
> The
> > IMAP
> > > server need not be configured for the public IP address - just the
> > > private one.
> >
> > I find that your suggestion of using IMAP for the exposed host makes a
> lot
> > of sense for this application. So I don't bug the list too much with
> this
> > question (actually, the two people that came to mind to answer this did
> ;)
> > ), what web sites, books, or other resources exist to help me build an
> IMAP
> > server to receive mail and something to do the reverse going back out?
> > Incidentally, the outside world need never have access to my outbound
> > server, if that helps clarify the issue.
You should find pretty much all you need to know about IMAP on (or via)
http://www.imap.org/.

> I use the Cyrus IMAP server which works for me.  The thing I like about
> Cyrus
> is that is is a "sealed" server - the user accounts and the passwords it
> maintains are completely independent of the Un*x users - i.e. you dont
> need to
> set up a Unix user account for each mailbox.
... which may or may not be an advantage. In my case, that would mean
having duplicate information for all users, since everyone has an account
on the server anyway.

> The Cyrus server provides a
> delivery program which is used by your MTA to deliver mail into its
> mailbox
> storage.  Note that you'll need a seperate MTA with Cyrus.
>
> There is also "courier" which is a full blown MTA and which also includes
> an
> IMAP server.  I haven't used this so I can't help much there.
>
> There might be an IMAP server for Postfix too - not sure though.

Exim (http://www.exim.org/) and the UW "IMAP-2000" server do the job nicely
for me...

--
- Toralf