Re: Suggestions for Balsa

On Wed, 10 October 13:04 Ali Akcaagac wrote:
>  hi,
>   i have one little question concerning libesmtp on its own, in
>  the past days with the 0.8.5 pre and final release mostly, i
>  see that when i press sent, it wont cleanly CONNECT to the smtp
>  server and get the message out i often need to disconnect my
>  connection and need to reconnect several times to get things
>  sent out by doing the reconnects i also restart balsa again.

Hmmm, not sure what's happening here.  The main 0.8.4 to 0.8.5preX
change was dropping the gethostbyname support in the main code and
providing the getaddrinfo emulation instead.  However since you are
using a recent glibc you'd have had getaddrinfo with 0.8.4 anyway.

>  sendmail get the stuff out correctly. no firewall or other
>  related problems.. my question is.. may it be due my other

OK.  If your firewall does not block access from the lan to port 25 on
the internet sendmail will have no problem relaying the messages.

>  smtp server i use

possibly.  If you have some idea of SMTP syntax, try telnet to the server
on port 25 and walk through the protocol by hand.  Alternatively try the
libESMTP example program with the monitor option.

>  or is there maybe a little typo in the code?

possibly.  I have had no problems connecting with 0.8.5 in any of the
configurations I use - an ISP with qmail, one ISP with sendmail and
a lan connection to M$ exchange (bletch).  If you differ from these
configurations I might have missed something, though there's nothing
obvious in the code I can find.

Brian