Questions and Observations From a New user

I just started using Balsa 1.2.2 on a Redhat 7.2 system.  I compiled
the source with default options.  I use local folders (mbox format) and
a POP3 mail server.  I used "rpm --erase" to get rid of the Redhat
installed version.

This message lists some bugs I've run into (new users are nasty that
way ;-) ) and a couple of instances of behavior that I didn't like.
Overall, I like what Balsa is trying to do... be a simple, fast, mail
tool.

Here's are my problems/observations/questions:

(1) When I compose a new message balsa kindly wraps text for me.  If I
save that message to the Draftbox, the text is permanently wrapped.  If
I then go back to editing the message I end up with a mixture of
wrapped and unwrapped text.  The mixture of wrapped and unwrapped text
is awkward for me to work with.  I would like it better if text were
not wrapped until the message is sent, and perhaps even better if the
text was never wrapped at all (is there a line length limit in the
RFCs?).

(2) When I create a new Mailbox in the Mailbox panel the Mailbox is
created, but the display is not updated until I exit and restart Balsa.

(3) If I invoke the "Mailbox Configurator" (by hitting browse from the
create Mailbox dialog) the starting directory is my home directory.  I
think that my local mail directory would be more appropriate.

(4) Following up on (3), if I try to create a new directory the dialog
box comes up frozen, will not accept input, and cannot be closed until
the "Mailbox Configurator" dialog box is closed.

(5) The default font for the message panel is microscopic on my
system.  The font for the message header panel is just fine.

(6) The "Message/Undelete" action does not appear to work.

(7) The key binding "^D" for delete is too easy to hit.  Furthermore,
the same action on outlook express does a move to folder.  I would
prefer to see the default action be rather harder to type.  I suspect
that I can configure this, but it isn't obvious to me how, and I don't
really care enough to find out!

(8) I would prefer to see the Cut/Delete/Past/Undo as actions that
apply to messages in the message header window and text in the text
window.
   (8) My "GnomeCard" address book was NOT imported automatically, even
though it is in "~/.gnome/GnomeCard.gcrd".

(9) I was able to read the address book by going to "Settings/Address
Books".  Unfortunately, selecting "Add/Browse" took me to my home
directory and the browser suppresses directory names that begin with a
period.  Since my address book is in ~/.gnome/GnomeCard.gcrd" it was
not at all obvious how to browse there.

(10) Can the built in HTML viewer be configured to fetch and display
images?  If so, it isn't at all obvious how.

(11) Given an message with "text/plain" and "text/html" parts, if I
right click on the "text/html" icon I am given the choices "view this
file with netscape," "open," and "edit."  Both "view this file with
netscape" and "open" invoke Mozilla on my system.  If I click on the
icon, it is opened with Galeon.  My GNOME registered default for HTML
files is Galeon.

(12) Bringing my mail folders over from Windows land was not as easy as
I'd hoped it would be.  I had switched from Outlook Express to Mozilla
so I would have the messages in a format that I could manipulate, but I
had to deal with line endings and change a bunch of invalid "From "
lines that Mozilla used.  Basically, Mozilla uses the "mbox" mail
format, but all the "From " lines I saw had the form:

	From - Jan 1965 00:00:00

The date part of the from line is sufficiently bogus that Balsa did not
recognize the lines as separating messages.

(13) "Procmail" is ugly but, then again, I used MH for years.

(14) The ability to use the Gecko HTML rendering engine from Mozilla
for high quality, in-line, HTML display would be really slick.

(15) An option to choose whether a text/plain or text/html rendering
was preferred would be useful.

I hope these comments are helpful... I've often found that new users
are particularly good at (re)discovering the glitches that more
experienced users just don't see any more.

-- Jim