Re: Questions and Observations From a New user

On 2001.11.03 07:57:17 +0100 Jim Mayer wrote:
> (1) When I compose a new message balsa kindly wraps text for me.  If I
> save that message to the Draftbox, the text is permanently wrapped.  If
> I then go back to editing the message I end up with a mixture of
> wrapped and unwrapped text.  The mixture of wrapped and unwrapped text
> is awkward for me to work with.  I would like it better if text were
> not wrapped until the message is sent, and perhaps even better if the
> text was never wrapped at all (is there a line length limit in the
> RFCs?).

there are prefs where you can adjust things.

> (9) I was able to read the address book by going to "Settings/Address
> Books".  Unfortunately, selecting "Add/Browse" took me to my home
> directory and the browser suppresses directory names that begin with a
> period.  Since my address book is in ~/.gnome/GnomeCard.gcrd" it was
> not at all obvious how to browse there.

thats the problem of gtk filebrowser, we cant do much about this
since its a final widget. dool gtk people for this but i hope that
this has been taken care in gtk 2.0

> (12) Bringing my mail folders over from Windows land was not as easy as
> I'd hoped it would be.  I had switched from Outlook Express to Mozilla
> so I would have the messages in a format that I could manipulate, but I
> had to deal with line endings and change a bunch of invalid "From "
> lines that Mozilla used.  Basically, Mozilla uses the "mbox" mail
> format, but all the "From " lines I saw had the form:
>
> 	From - Jan 1965 00:00:00
>
> The date part of the from line is sufficiently bogus that Balsa did not
> recognize the lines as separating messages.

www.freshmeat.net .. there are a bunch of tools that do this for you
correctly :)

> (14) The ability to use the Gecko HTML rendering engine from Mozilla
> for high quality, in-line, HTML display would be really slick.

oh jesus no....

galeon people has the same problems right now. gnome is going to 2.0
gtk is going to 2.0 but mozilla's geckoengine is still staying on gtk 1.0
for the next upcomming 1-x years because of stability reasons and issues.
i doubt that if we switch to gecko engine that this simplifies things.
specially not if we move to gnome 2.0 with all its bloatened libraries
*evilgrin* :-)

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@stud.fh-wilhelmshaven.de