Re: Adding folders for Maildir mailboxes

On 2001.07.19 04:39 Carlos Morgado wrote:

> On 2001.07.19 10:23:53 +0100 Raven wrote:
>

> > So are mbox and Maildir, if you use directories as your folders. I've
been
> > doing it since I started with balsa.
> >

> no no no no no.
> you *can't* nest mboxes. a mbox is 1 single file. you can create a
directory
> tree and populate with mbox files. that is *not* nesting. balsa will
descend
> that tree happily and discover the mboxes

That's exactly what I mean by nesting mbox mailboxes. The directories act
as folders and each mbox file acts as a mailbox.

> MailDir is
>
> maildir/
>  +-tmp/
>  +-cur/
>  +-new/
>
> each of tmp,cur,new can contain files. each file is one single message.
the
> file names are not specified but should be descriptive. the MUA should
> manipulate the message files.
> anything other than that is *not* a maildir. that means you *can't* have
>
> maildir/
>  +-tmp/
>  +-cur/
>  +-new/
>  +-anothermaildir/
>    +-...

Agreed and understood. That's not proper nesting at all.

> that is what i gathered from the docs i have about MailDir.

Me too.

> you *can* have
>
> a folder/
>  +-maildir1
>  +-maildir2
>  +-mhdir
>    +-anothermh
>  +-anotherfolder
>    +-mbox1

Exactly, though I'd fill it up with Maildirs - I like the design.

> that balsa should parse and recognize and bar the "create dir" thing
> you should be able to create that structure from balsa.

Exactly my point. I think we mean the same thing. It's the modal problem I
mentioned (and a not-as-clear-as-it-could-be interface) that's keeping us
from getting from here to there.

Raven

P.S. I had to resend this note, as I fouled the adddress the first time. I
wonder if a "Resend" function, allowing for editing of the message or
especially the addressees, would be useful...
Raven (not the OTHER Raven, THAT Raven! :-)
<ravens_nest@att.net> <http://home.att.net/~ravens_nest>

And if love remains
Though everything is lost
We will pay the price