Re: Adding folders for Maildir mailboxes

On 2001.07.19 02:14:07 +0100 Raven wrote:
> Heeding the advice of those wiser than myself, I've started experimenting
> with Maildir mailboxes as an alternative to mbox, which is apparently what
> I had been using. I've found two minor glitches in the process that I
> thought I'd mention.
>
> First, it seems that whatever you enter as the mailbox name is completely
> ignored, yet you are required to put *something* there. Using the
> information in that entry box as the name of the Maildir would be
> intuitively useful.

the name mathers when you're creating mailboxes outside your ~/mail/.
granted, when you fill in the name a sensible value should be put into
the path box

> Second, if you browse to an already existing folder (read: directory) to
> place your Maildir, all is well. However, if you want to create a new
> directory in your mail tree from the browse dialog, you can't - if you
> press "Create Dir", the dialog to create the directory appears, but you

"Create Dir" on the file dialog is from gtk+ not balsa.

> cannot give the dialog focus. Apparently, the browse dialog is globally
> modal, and the only choice you have is to exit the browse dialog, which
> destroys the "Create Dir" dialog. So currently, if you want to implement

i'll have to investigate into that.

anyway, why are you trying to use create dir ? new->local maildir on balsa
does all needed to create a MailDir mailbox (and will prolly fail if you
point it at an existing dir that isn't already a maildir)

> nesting folders, you have to set up your tree from gmc or a terminal

iirc some time ago we came to the conclusion nested maildir folders
are generally a bad idea, and particularly ilegal. there was a discussion
on the list about this when the mailbox scanner was reworked. MH is the
only thing you can nest

> window. I think, though am not sure, that this behaviour exists when you
> try to set up mbox and mh mailboxes, too, so it's probably related to the
> mailbox configurator code. Just a hunch.

MH are nestable, you should be able to just create an mh folder inside
another mh folder from balsa.
as for mboxes, the "Create Dir" issue on the file dialog is prolly a subtle
interaction between that and something else in balsa.

cheers

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds