Re: Adding folders for Maildir mailboxes

On 2001.07.19 03:58 Carlos Morgado wrote:
> the name mathers when you're creating mailboxes outside your ~/mail/.
> granted, when you fill in the name a sensible value should be put into
> the path box

Just for paranoia's sake, I put the name of the mailbox there, but it
really doesn't seem to matter given the way I do things.

> > Second, if you browse to an already existing folder (read: directory)
> > place your Maildir, all is well. However, if you want to create a new
> > directory in your mail tree from the browse dialog, you can't - if you
> > press "Create Dir", the dialog to create the directory appears, but you
>
> "Create Dir" on the file dialog is from gtk+ not balsa.
>
> > cannot give the dialog focus. Apparently, the browse dialog is globally
> > modal, and the only choice you have is to exit the browse dialog, which
> > destroys the "Create Dir" dialog. So currently, if you want to
> implement
>
> i'll have to investigate into that.

True, I'm sure, but what happens if the browse dialog is modal? It seems
that one cannot give the "Create Dir" the focus, no matter who owns it.

> anyway, why are you trying to use create dir ? new->local maildir on
balsa
> does all needed to create a MailDir mailbox (and will prolly fail if you
> point it at an existing dir that isn't already a maildir)

Actually, it works gorgeously and exactly as one would expect.

> > nesting folders, you have to set up your tree from gmc or a terminal
>
> iirc some time ago we came to the conclusion nested maildir folders
> are generally a bad idea, and particularly ilegal. there was a discussion
> on the list about this when the mailbox scanner was reworked. MH is the
> only thing you can nest

To tell you the truth, the only reason I switched from spruce to balsa was
because balsa could do nested mailboxes and spruce couldn't. If they were
removed, I think the only reason I wouldn't return to spruce is that I have
too heavy an investment in balsa now. Besides, balsa *is* a good mail
client. ;)

The fact of the matter is that balsa's scanner *does* support Maildir
trees, and I'd prefer to see that functionality kept, if not finished. If
the developers don't want to set up folder creation in a useful place in
the process, I can live with doing it from gmc. If they decide to remove
that from the scanner, that's when I start looking at other clients - again
<sigh>

> MH are nestable, you should be able to just create an mh folder inside
> another mh folder from balsa.
> as for mboxes, the "Create Dir" issue on the file dialog is prolly a
> subtle
> interaction between that and something else in balsa.

So are mbox and Maildir, if you use directories as your folders. I've been
doing it since I started with balsa.

Raven
Raven (not the OTHER Raven, THAT Raven! :-)
<ravens_nest@att.net> <http://home.att.net/~ravens_nest>

And if love remains
Though everything is lost
We will pay the price