Re: Adding folders for Maildir mailboxes

On 2001.07.19 03:32:45 +0100 Peter Bloomfield wrote:
> On 2001.07.18 21:14 Raven wrote:
> > Heeding the advice of those wiser than myself, I've started experimenting
> > with Maildir mailboxes as an alternative to mbox, which is apparently
> > what
> > I had been using. I've found two minor glitches in the process that I
> > thought I'd mention.
>
> My impression is that these dialogs are for making *new* Balsa connections
> to *existing* mailboxes of the various types. The `Mailbox name' seems to
> be used for display when the mailbox is first shown, but when you restart
> Balsa, the local folder scanner sets up a mailbox with a name based on the
> file/directory name.

it goes like this,
if the mailbox already exists and is the correct type, keep going
if the mailbox already exists and is not the correct type, spew an error
if the mailbox doesn't exist, create it.
if you can't create it, bitch
if the mailbox is outside ~/mail/ store it in the config file (name+path)
if the mailbox is inside ~/mail/, dont' store cause folder scanner will
 pick it up

in the last case the name is lost. i'm not totally sure it is a bug. i
think it's actually a feature to avoid confusion.
as said before, when i type "foo" in name balsa should prolly place
"/the/path/to/the/mail/foo" on the place (reasonable default)

> It would be useful to add the capability to really *create* new mailboxes
> (i.e., including the disk files/directories needed)--in fact, I'd say that
> was a requirement for Balsa to move to the status of user-friendly!

oh but balsa does that.
it will create some confusion on users who don't know the mailbox formats
though, specially with MailDir. maildir is a rather picky format, and if you
try to add something that's not exactly a maildir as a maildir balsa will
give you an error.

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds