Re: Next release, II

On 2000-09-16 17:18:31 Matthew Guenther wrote:
> I think gnome-print support should go in by default if it's stable, I
don't
> see it being an excessive dependency for a GNOME program and it will
have
> general appeal.  LDAP is esoteric enough that I think we could leave it
out.

gnome-print is very stable (definetely more reliable than gtkhtml, for
example). I will try to fix the header wrapping today (it's not gnome-print,
it's just my code).

I have been thinking about the versioning. I am kind of not sure if 0.10 is
a good idea, it suggests the program is really in early stages of
development. Balsa is not perfect but is doing really well, I think. We have
implemented recently several new technologies: gnome-config, gnome-print (not too
many programs use it, check it out!), new remote authorization algorithms,
LDAP, not to mention increased stability. I have seens several programs with
much higher version numbers that have less than half of these features. OTOH,
I feel kind of shy to release 1.0... I wish there was something in
beteween.

But we can always say: "we release balsa-x.xx. but this number means
nothing". :-).

/Pawel
--
Pawel Salek (pawsa@theochem.kth.se) http://www.theochem.kth.se/~pawsa/
Theoretical Chemistry Division, KTH voice: +46 8 790-8202