Re: Next release, II

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 06:30:57PM +0200, Pawel Salek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1. Balsa compiles now with disabled
> threads. We will however move most
> likely to threaded only code beause it
> may simplify maintaince, unless there
> are arguments against it.

I'm all for it, removing those #ifdef's will be a joy.

> 2. I have just commited gnome-print
> support which is I guess the last thing
> to be included in balsa-0.10.0. (text
> wrapping on reply has been fixed, too).
> I think I will bump version number on
> Monday morning (UCT) to 0.9.5 (or is
> 0.10.pre1 be better?). I wonder what
> features should go into binary version
> of the package. Most likely it will be
> compiled as for stock Redhat 6.2, but
> then LDAP support and gnome-print are
> out, we could advertise them on the web
> page so people will know that they may
> gain on recompiling the code.

I think gnome-print support should go in by default if it's stable, I don't
see it being an excessive dependency for a GNOME program and it will have
general appeal.  LDAP is esoteric enough that I think we could leave it out.

> 3. I will try to release the pre-release
> version weekly until there are no more
> bug fixes coming.

I think one thing we should try to do is to test every feature on every
platform we can get our hands on.  This might help us avoid problems on
non-Linux/BSD systems that have occurred in the past.  Maybe we need some
sort of smoke test similar to Mozilla's.

> 4. I guess it is right time to update
> translations (Matthew, thanks for the
> doc update, is it synchronized with the
> code now?) There is also help/C/README
> file that explains how to install gnome
> help development tools, it is not as
> straightforward task as one might wish.

The docs are not completely synchronized, I think there are still some errors and
missing documentation... but it's getting there.  The translators could
probably be notified regardless, I don't think they usually translate the
manual anyways.

MBG

--
 Matthew Guenther                     The universe is made of stories, not
 guentherm@asme.org                   of atoms.

PGP signature