Re: Compiling 0.9.3

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 10:13:08AM +0100, Paul Barnfather wrote:

> > There already is an advisory in the INSTALL file about using older versions
> > of gcc/egcs.  People who don't know how to compile and fix problems like
> > this, and don't read the INSTALL file should be installing from packages
> > any-ways.  This is fundamentally a system mis-configuration problem, and it's
> > not our job to administer every machine that wants to compile balsa.
>
> Is it *really* a configuration issue? I have gcc-2.95.2, which is
> the current release. I still need to compile with --disable-more-warnings,
> as as far as I can tell the problem is caused by a compiler bug, not
> a configuration issue.

It's not a gcc configuration problem, but a *system* configuration problem.
If you have a broken tool-chain on your system, there are two options:

1) You can fix the problem by changing versions either forward or
backward to something that works.

2) Every piece of code in the world can be changed to take into account the
broken tool-chain.

I have had this problem before with other packages and it was easily fixed
by syncing my compiler and base libraries to a more recent version.  Some
people don't like changing their compiler much (say in the middle of a
project), but if it's broken it's not our responsibility to bend over
backwards to ensure it works in these situations.

MBG

--
 Matthew Guenther                       Demand the establishment of the
 guentherm@asme.org                     government in its rightful home at

PGP signature