Re: Filtering

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Sarel J. Botha wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 10:49:42AM +0100, Pawel Salek wrote:
> > Yes, that's true: procmail is started only at the delivery. Anyway, I
> > think the anti-filtering argument is convincing: the Unix philosophy
> > says that it's MTA's duty to provide filtering, not MUA's. It's better
> > to contribute a GUI setup tool to procmail (and possibly a way to
> > start it also from balsa) than add this kind of code to balsa.
>
> Isn't the idea for Balsa to get around using an MTA like sendmail?

No.

> Is balsa just a viewer for messages that have already been downloaded
> into mailboxes?

No.

Both pieces of rhetoric wrong :-)

It's not a goal for balsa to circumvent the idea of having a local MTA.
But, by supporting POP and IMAP, balsa provides the power necessary for
people whose mail is delivered to another machine.

Equally, balsa isn't *just* a viewer for messages in mailboxes, but that
is one thing it does do..

Personally, I have remote mail - via IMAP - but I *never* download them to
the local machine.  The messages stay on the IMAP server, and that way I
can access them from anywhere on the internet.

But that's only one way of doing things :)

Jules